[rt-users] (RT2) http and https on same server

Jamie Wilkinson jaq at spacepants.org
Thu Aug 14 20:22:39 EDT 2003

This one time, at band camp, Scott A. McIntyre wrote:
>--On Thursday, August 14, 2003 22:30 +1000 Jamie Wilkinson
><jaq at spacepants.org> wrote:
>
>>This one time, at band camp, Scott A. McIntyre wrote:
>>>On an RT2 box (remember that?) is there a way to have both a SSL and
>>>non-ssl version of RT running simultaneously?  The etc/config.pm
>>>includes  the $WebBaseURL which I suspect will be overriding one or the
>>>other.
>>
>>Do you want different RTs running behind SSL and non-SSL, or the same RT?
>
>Same RT -- sorry about not being clear on that.  The situation I'm trying
>to discover is if there is a useful performance gain to RT2 by having
>non-ssl sessions for a range of systems within a "trusted" network (more
>physically trusted).

Well, I run RT behind SSL and have my non-SSL server on the same ip do a
redirect to the SSL version.

Unfortunately it's not going to be easy to do some performance testing
given that RT only has one WebBaseURL that it prefers.  I'd suggest running
an SSL version for a while and then non-SSL and comparing the results.

I haven't noticed any significant speed difference between the two though.
The majority of our https traffic to RT is on an internal network as well,
but I wouldn't disable it for performance reasons just because the internal
network is more "trusted" than the outside world.  Multiple levels of
security are always a good thing.

--
jaq at spacepants.org                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg