[rt-users] Max performance suggestions on slow hardware?

Tremaine Lea tremaine.lea at sjrb.ca
Thu Dec 4 14:50:36 EST 2003

Hi there Michael,

	I've discovered in my brief introduction to RT/IR thus far that is
definitely a RAM intensive process.  I have an odd little frankenbox I was
testing it on that is a P4 2.4 GHz with a mere 256 megs of ram.  In
forwarding 300 email to it in relatively quick succession, both apache-ssl
and mysql keeled over horribly due to a lack of memory.  The processor
itself rarely came under any significant load at all even with multiple
rt-mailgate/apache-ssl/mysql child processes.

	I'm currently rebuilding on the same hardware with a new swap
partition of 1GB and using Gentoo (www.gentoo.org) to tweak for performance.
Rather lengthy install from stage 1, but I'm hoping it's worth it.  I'll
post back to the list once the build is complete and let you know how it
went.

Cheers,

Tremaine