[rt-users] Re: Using the + notation with your MTA - the easy way!!!

seph seph at directionless.org
Thu Dec 11 13:46:29 EST 2003

I just answered something a lot like this yesterday. you should check
the mailing list archives...

> Let's say for example that your RT server is rt.mydomain.com and your MTA
> aliases are for rt at rt.mydomain.com. Now let's say that you have three
> queues: foo, bar, and help. Set up your aliases file as follows:
>
> rt:     |/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue $EXTENSION --action correspond
> --url http://localhost/
>
> Now, when someone sends an email to rt+foo at rt.mydomain.com or
> rt+bar at rt.mydomain.com, it will direct the inbound message to the
> appropriate queue and it requires only one line in your aliases file.

note that the alias expansion has the argument "--queue $EXTENSION",
it requires your MTA set EXTENSION to whatever was after the +. The
details are MTA specific.

There are similar hacks for exim and qmail described in the old
rtfm. (http://fsck.com/rtfm/)

seph