[rt-users] Re: managing multiple queues

rtusers-lists-fsck-com at jal.org rtusers-lists-fsck-com at jal.org
Fri Dec 12 12:21:32 EST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, seph wrote:

> what happens when you move a ticket between queues? In my world view,
> tickets should have unique numbers per install. If you want really
> separate queues, maybe you want separate RT installs?

The way this is normally* handled is that database-internal unique IDs are
not exposed. Every ticket has a unique ID, and a queue ID. If a ticket
moves between queues, you Do Something to make it unique, such as
renumbering it, appending something, or whatever.

I'm not denying that this would be a huge change for RT; I'm just
illustrating what other applications that have encountered this sort
of problem do.

-j

*This causes other problems, such as users expecting that the ID they
see is actually the ID of the record, leading to other conclusions about
internal software states, causing lots of confusion all around. Ain't
software grand?

Jamie Lawrence                                        jal at jal.org
"Saying 'please' is for losers"
    -Joe Tucci