[rt-users] Correspondence recipients

J. Sloan js138 at eng.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 17 09:30:48 EST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Andrew J. Korty wrote:

> I think I want to dramatically change the way RT addresses replies and
> correspondence.  Hopefully, someone will tell me I'm just thinking
> about this the wrong way.
>
> Often, when we receive a new ticket, we "forward" it to someone else
> without RT access for investigation.  (Currently, we forward using
> [Comment] and cc-ing the intended recipient.)  When that external
> person replies to the forward, the requestor automatically receives
> the reply.  We don't want that.  I can turn that off by removing the
> corresponding scrip, but then that prevents us from replying to the
> requestor when we want to.  (We could explicitly cc the requestor, but
> I'd like it to be automatic.)
>
> I guess I'd like for replies to go to the people in the From: and Cc:
> fields of the message I'm replying to, just like e-mail.  As it is
> now, if I reply to correspondence sent by someone other than the
> requestor, it doesn't go to that person unless I explicitly cc him or
> her.  It just gets appended to the ticket and sent to the requestor.
>
> If I could make that behavior work, I could disable the scrip that
> causes *all* correspondence to go to the requestor, but we could still
> reply to the requestor directly.

Is your comment address set up correctly on that queue?  If the forward is
with a comment, a reply to that should also be treated as a comment.

i.e. You need to make sure that your MTA invokes rt-mailgate with
--comment if the reply is to the comment email address for that queue.

For instance - we have:

rt-admin and rt-admin-comment which both relate to the 'rt-admin' queue
on our system.  I have exim configured to invoke rt-mailgate with
--correspond for the forst and --comment for the second.

Your second point I think you could cure by making the relevant person a
CC for the ticket, rather than on each reply - it doesn't seem to be
direcly correlated to your first.

Hope that helps

John