[rt-users] AW: AW: Still troubles with mail envelope sender

Panizzon Benoit bpanizzon at iphpa.ch
Mon Dec 22 08:56:26 EST 2003

Hi Seph

> I don't understand why you want to use -f at all. If your a trusted
> user, the MTA shouldn't be adding a Sender header, and should just use
> the the From header rt sets.

Well, it does sent the From: Header correctly... But what I was talking
about ist the Envelope Sender. The one you set with the -f switch of
sendmail.

Let's assume my server is called www.foobar.local (which is our company
internal DNS Namespace)
The user RT runs as is www-data
So I get a mail sent with

envelope from:<www-data at www.foobar.local>
From: "Queuename" <queuename at company.com>
To: Requestor

So any server receiving this tells me: www.foobar.local - non existent
domain.

That's why I would need -f to set the envelope to something like
<postmaster at company.com> that exists in the Internet Namespace.

Well, I could rename our server to call itself company.com but I don't know
what else I would break by doing so ;-)

-Benoit-