[rt-users] Re: AW: AW: Still troubles with mail envelope sender

seph seph at directionless.org
Mon Dec 22 09:49:44 EST 2003

> Well, it does sent the From: Header correctly... But what I was talking
> about ist the Envelope Sender. The one you set with the -f switch of
> sendmail.
>
> Let's assume my server is called www.foobar.local (which is our company
> internal DNS Namespace)
> The user RT runs as is www-data
> So I get a mail sent with
>
> envelope from:<www-data at www.foobar.local>
> From: "Queuename" <queuename at company.com>
> To: Requestor

I think I see what you're problem is. It's not the sender header, as
sendmail shouldn't be adding that in your case. It's the actual smtp
exchange. You're running into more restrictive spam checks. Primarily
ones that require the MAIL FROM domain to be valid, but you'll also
encounter ones that require the sending host to identify with a valid
hostname in HELO.

I'd change your server's configs so it identified as something
externally resolvable. using -f may solve the MAIL FROM error, but it
won't solve the HELO problem. (though you may not have encountered that
yet)

> Well, I could rename our server to call itself company.com but I don't know
> what else I would break by doing so ;-)

don't rename the machine, just have sendmail use something like that.

seph