[rt-users] 'correspondence (probably) not sent'

Malcolm Herbert rt-users at mjch.net
Tue Feb 4 23:01:40 EST 2003

hi all ...

I've had RT 2.0.13 going for a while now (up to 280 tickets now) and at
some point I upgraded my PostGresql backend from 7.2 to 7.3.1 ...

unfortunately I didn't realise that the original binary was still
running over the old format of the database (apparently the internal
structure changed between revisions) ... I discovered this when I
restarted the database and found that although I hadn't appeared to
have made any changes, it refused to run because the data store had a
different revision.

OK, so I happened to have another box with the original version I'd
installed on it but hadn't upgraded yet (phew), so I was able to copy
over the data store and run pg_dumpall to dump the entire database to an
SQL format file. I then was able to reload the database (not without a
little hassle involving defined users)

I then fired up RT2 and everything seemed hunky dory ... almost.

I seem to be having a variety of weird errors cropping up. First off,
the web interface seems normal when browsing through tickets, or
modifying them ... except when it comes to replying or commenting on
a ticket, then I get the 'Result' message as above - 'correspondence
(probably) not sent'

The user does receive a message, but it looks like this:

|From nobody at aeolos.earth.monash.edu.au Wed Feb  5 14:33:45 2003
|Subject: [earth.monash.edu.au #288] test message
|From: " via RT" <helpdesk at mail.earth.monash.edu.au>
|RT-Ticket: earth.monash.edu.au #288
|To: mjch at mjch.net
|Sender: Unprivileged user <nobody at aeolos.earth.monash.edu.au>
|Date: Wed,  5 Feb 2003 14:33:46 +1100 (EST)
|

|[Correspondence template]

ie, there is no content, no idea who it is from or anything ...

there are some log messages appearing in the error_log file for apache:

|RT::Attachment->Create couldn't, as you didn't specify a transaction
|RT::Ticket=HASH(0x9e73314) couldn't init a transaction (Transaction Created)
|RT::Ticket=HASH(0x9f7df9c) couldn't set status to resolved.RT's Database may be inconsistent.RT::Attachment->Create couldn't, as you didn't specify a transaction
|RT::Ticket=HASH(0x9faf348) couldn't init a transaction (Transaction Created)
|RT::Attachment->Create couldn't, as you didn't specify a transaction
|RT::Ticket=HASH(0x9dc461c) couldn't init a transaction (Transaction Created)
|RT::Attachment->Create couldn't, as you didn't specify a transaction
|RT::Ticket=HASH(0x9cdeaa0) couldn't init a transaction (Transaction Created)
|RT::Attachment->Create couldn't, as you didn't specify a transaction
|RT::Ticket=HASH(0x9fd8d58) couldn't init a transaction (Transaction Created)

what is puzzling is that I can send and receive email from the RT mail
gateway without problems, so if there was any inconsistency in the
database I would have thought there would be problems with that too ...

can anyone give me a hand with this?

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch at mjch.net                                                left blank