[rt-users] Email not going out

Matt Simonsen matt_lists at careercast.com
Tue Feb 11 13:15:35 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 23:21, Phil Homewood wrote:
> Matt Simonsen wrote:
> > After creating a ticket as user jennifer, with cc: matt at careercast.com
> > and admincc: admin at careercast.com no emails are received.
>
> Just clarifying:- no emails are received by /any/ of the three
> people?

Right, that was what was happening.

> ok, we've picked up the requestor and cc in this scrip...
>
> > [Mon Feb 10 18:19:10 2003] [debug]: RT::Action::Notify=HASH(0x92f25bc):
> > Bcc is admin at careercast.com
> > (/usr/local/rt-3.0.0b/lib/RT/Action/Notify.pm:112)
>
> ... and this scrip has picked up the AdminCC.
>
> So, why aren't the emails being sent? I don't know. :-( You're
> using qmail... and you've tried sendmail and sendmailpipe.

I did. Sendmailpipe is what I had (have) settled on as being correct, so
from there I changed the SendEmail.pm to point to dd and a file.

> and did you *stop* and *start* (not just reload) the webserver?

Yes.

> Do your qmail logs show *any* attempt at sending?

No.

> which isn't happening. So either Notify.pm (or SendEmail.pm?) is
> bombing unexpectedly somewhere before this, or the problem lies
> at the MTA.

The problem was a mix of two - after writing the email to a file I
noticed the from wasn't a valid email address. This caused qmail's
sendmail wrapper to bomb, with no logging. After fixing the from address
in the config file everything looks good.

Thanks-
Matt