[rt-users] RT causes core dumps for apache+modperl1

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.biz
Fri Feb 21 02:29:17 EST 2003

Hello RT likes,

WARNING: This is rather long. Please bear with me.

I seem to have a strange problem which I believe only hawk-eyed gurus can bail
me out of. I've used a script to compile apache+mod_ssl+modperl1. This script
can be seen at https://beastie.wananchi.com/~wash/Apache/build-script.txt

I am wondering if it's a problem within that script because when I use it, the
moment I run `apachectl configtest` I get syntax OK, and a core dump.

This is happening on 2 FreeBSD boxes (one is 4.7-STABLE, the other 5.0-RELEASE).
Perl versions are as follows: 4.7-STABLE has Perl-5.6.1 while 5.0-RELEASE has
5.8. Both have Apache-1.3.27 and modperl1. This happens only with static
compilation of modperl into apache.

When I comment out the RT VirtualHost or run RT using FCGI, I don't get this core
dump. When I install apache-mod_ssl/modperl each from the ports, meaning I have
modperl as DSO the setup works okay. I would love to have modperl statically compiled
into apache though.

I am wondering if anyone can reproduce the crash using the script on a test
box (wishful thinking..)

Here are some more details:

Apache-1.3.27 statically compiled with modperl (see script above)

Full analysis of the core files using gdb on both systems can be found at the URL:

https://beastie.wananchi.com/~wash/Apache/

OPTION 1 (Static): This core dumps

beastie# httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_perl.c
suexec: enabled; valid wrapper /usr/local/sbin/suexec

OPTION 2 (DSO): This does NOT core dump!

wash at ns2 ('tty') ~ 1 -> httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
suexec: enabled; valid wrapper /usr/local/sbin/suexec

The VirtualHost entry that causes this on the 5.0 system is below. The only
variation to this on the 4.7 system is that on the 4.7 system it's rt-2-0-15.
When I run rt3 using fastcgi on the 5.0 system there is no problem at all.

<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName rt3.wananchi.com
    DocumentRoot /opt/rt3/share/html
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

   # this line applies to Apache2+mod_perl2 only
   # PerlModule Apache2 Apache::compat

   PerlModule Apache::DBI
   PerlRequire /opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl

    <Location />
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlHandler RT::Mason
    </Location>
</VirtualHost>

Thanking you for your time.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington   <wash at wananchi.com>  "The box said 'Requires
Wananchi Online Ltd.  www.wananchi.com      Windows 95, NT, or better,'

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
revolution inevitable.
		-- John F. Kennedy