[rt-users] Can two unique instances of RT share the same database?

Jeff Holst jeffholst at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 7 22:30:36 EST 2003

I have two unique installations of RT running on one server.  Each uses it's
own RT code base, and has a dedicated apache server listening on different
ports.  The one commonality between these two instances of RT is that they
point to the same mysql database.  I'm doing this because each of the RT
instances has it's own look and feel as well as handles authorization
differently.  Both instances of RT need access to the same queues and
tickets, however.  Has anyone had any success or failures with a similar
setup? Are there any better suggestions how to go about this?  I suppose I
could have duplicate copies of my database that I syncronize somehow on the
backend, but I don't know if this is necessary.  The only real concern I
have with my installation is I don't know how database locking is handled
and if there is a possibility of database corruption if both instances are
writting the same information at the same time.  Any help would greatly be
appreciated.

Thanks,

-jeff