[rt-users] Multi-tier RT

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Fri Jan 17 16:49:02 EST 2003

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Andrew Pollock wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 03:29:22PM +0100, Bruce Campbell wrote:
> > In our setup, we have 4 distinct machines, and a plethora of desktops that
> > are able to directly access the SQL servers.  The maintainance of this is
> > eased by having our install directory, /home/rt2, NFS shared across the
> > machines.
>
> NFS is evil and can't be used in the environment that I'm looking at
> deploying RT2 into.

So have a master tree for the RT libraries, and remember to sync them when
you do an upgrade.  (Note that this is for RT 2.x .  RT 3.x changes
slightly.

> What are you sharing via NFS anyway, just the RT (config) files and
> whatnot to keep them all in sync?

For RT, just the perl scripts, the libraries and a small setuid proggie
(swiped from the majordomo dist) to make sure the enquiring little buggers
can't get the actual MySQL password.

NFS is used because our backend data storage is a Netapp filer.. Snapshots
are Goooood ;)

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security