[rt-users] Redhat RPMs?

Jamie Wilkinson jaq at spacepants.org
Fri Jul 11 22:17:39 EDT 2003

This one time, at band camp, Sean Perry wrote:
>a) all of the perl depends.  This was a complete mess.  Took me the
>better part of a day to get everything installed an working.
>WWW::Mechanize in particular did not install gracefully and I had to
>hand install it (ignoring the failed make test).
>
>Several of the perl modules from CPAN refused to install and I had to
>fall back to the rpms from RH8.
>
>Getting real RPMS for all of the perl depends would go a LONG way to
>making rt easier to install, faster too.
>
>b) I needed Active Directory support and I wanted apache2 so I went with
>the absolute latest versions of apache and mod_perl.  Everything seems
>kosher but it took some doing.

I've been posting to -users over the last 3 months or so regarding
installing RT3 on RH8, there's my apache configuration for apache2 and
modperl, and an apache configuration for apache2+mod_fastcgi in the
archives.

cpan2rpm (first hit on google) is a fantastic tool for using CPAN modules on
rpm based systems; the caveat with Red Hat 8 and CPAN is that, as you've
discovered, not everything will install without a 'force', there happen to
be some cyclic dependencies in some CPAN modules, and there are even cases
where the CPAN modules that come as part of the perl base RPM are broken or
out of date for RT3.

I chose the cpan2rpm path for my installation because I wanted to be able to
manage upgrades to the modules in the Red Hat way, keeping track of CPAN and
RPMs separately is too hard.  I also need to be able to reproduce a
machine's installation and installing pe-built packages is much faster than
building a module with each machine build.

There are no special instructions needed for installing RT on Red Hat
though, I've followed the install instructions for every install I've done.

--
jaq at spacepants.org                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg