[rt-users] Installation Usability

seph seph at directionless.org
Wed Jul 16 08:53:02 EDT 2003

> There is a mix of ' vs " . That I still can't make heads or tails
> out of.  What is the difference between these three?

In your examples, there's no difference. ' is a literal quote, and "
will expand things. ie:

Set($Foo, '$bar');   -> sets $Foo to $bar

Set($Foo, "$bar");   -> sets $Foo to whatever $bar was set to.

> Why not make the setup and install easy for people that have no programming
> experience (I know scary thought to have admins like these running loose,
> but they do exist).

I'm somewhat torn about this. On one hand, a very user friendly install
and config process allows more people to use RT. On the other hand, it
lets unqualified people deploy RT poorly, frustrating users and adding
a support burden to the RT community. Of course, I have no connection
to Best Practical, and have no idea what their feelings are. I've
always found RT trivial to install and configure.

I expect developer time is more of an issue anyhow.

> Also it took me sometime debugging before I realized that the config file
> was loaded at apache runtime, and not called from the rt scripts.  It never
> hinted in the manual that you needed to restart Apache when you changed a
> config directive.

This is documented in several different places. Along with a note
saying that restarting apache is insufficient, and that you need a
full stop and start.

> I don't know enough about performance with perl, but is
> much lost on having a flat file parsed similar to httpd.conf

you know httpd.conf is also only read on apache start?

seph