[rt-users] Installation Usability

Miles Scruggs midgard at garnetws.com
Wed Jul 16 12:25:11 EDT 2003

> > There is a mix of ' vs " . That I still can't make heads or tails
> > out of.  What is the difference between these three?
>
> In your examples, there's no difference. ' is a literal quote, and "
> will expand things. ie:
>
> Set($Foo, '$bar');   -> sets $Foo to $bar
>
> Set($Foo, "$bar");   -> sets $Foo to whatever $bar was set to.

I might be lost in the rigors of the syntax, but I'm pretty sure their
were differences in the my examples.  First one had " second one had '
and third one had ".  Now I can't see a reason for that.

I guess my main point is that, it would be nice to stick to a
convention, when you design a config file.  And document your deviations
from it.

> I'm somewhat torn about this. On one hand, a very user friendly
install
> and config process allows more people to use RT. On the other hand, it
> lets unqualified people deploy RT poorly, frustrating users and adding
> a support burden to the RT community. Of course, I have no connection
> to Best Practical, and have no idea what their feelings are. I've
> always found RT trivial to install and configure.

Aside from my outgoing mail problem RT was trivial to install and
configure, and I feel that I have it running fine.  Only thing that I
find confusing is how the config file is layedout.  I can still manage
it, but I can't explain it.  I feel this has mostly to do with the fact
that I don't have a grasp on perl which I don't feel should be a
prerequisite.

> I expect developer time is more of an issue anyhow.

As do I

> This is documented in several different places. Along with a note
> saying that restarting apache is insufficient, and that you need a
> full stop and start.

Guess I missed that one.

> > I don't know enough about performance with perl, but is
> > much lost on having a flat file parsed similar to httpd.conf
>
> you know httpd.conf is also only read on apache start?

Yes that was more of an example of a file with easy syntax, not of
maybe that should tell me something.

Miles