[rt-users] can't install

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Mon Mar 3 06:00:57 EST 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, David wrote:

> I'm trying to install RT and make install keeps erroring out.  make
> dropdb works fine, however.

Firstly, could you ensure that you only send one copy of your mail?
Plain text and html versions in the same mail does not a polite netizen
make.

Second, there is a difference between 'localhost' and 'default localhost'.
So where the RT install is connecting to 'localhost':

> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: YES)

This is not the same as the mysql client connecting to the default
localhost (usually /tmp/mysql.sock or somesuch):

> $ mysql -u root -p
> Enter password:
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.

Try 'mysql -h 127.0.0.1 -u root -p' to see if you have a permission
problem based on how you connect to the server.  Further assistance on
this problem is available on the online mysql manual, www.mysql.com .

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security