[rt-users] Installation of 3.0 RC1 - no go.

Shmulik Gazit Shmulik at olivesoftware.com
Sun Mar 16 16:21:28 EST 2003

Hello,

Following an advice from a frined who installed 3.0 on Madrake 9.0 (and is
away for two weeks), I decided to try. I'm not an expert in linux/unix, and
most of what I know is from reading manuals/internet data regarding what I'm
trying to do.

I installed Mandrake 9.0, the sendmail rpm, compiled apache 1.3 and modperl
static as was written, and started the RT installtion.

Jesse claimed that in 3.0:
* The installation process has been overhauled. Autoconf
	  (./configure) make installation easier than ever before.

for somebody who tried to install 2.0 five times and never got it to work
fully (on redHat 7.3), I didn't understand so much what was overhauled since
it is basically the same test/install cpan song and dance all over again. It
is beyond me why a software should download 2 dozens (at least?) of modules,
that change every day, and even one of them can break your installtion,
instead of coming ready for installation with tried and true modules. I just
know that a windows app, as free as it may be, would have never been
installed like that by anyone, no matter how much promise it held.

test-dependencies/install couldn't install apache::session because
apache:request didn't want to get installed, complaing about a db_file.pm
that was missing in the @INC path. downloading it from cpan and trying to
install revieled that I have to download and install Berkely_DB from some
site. Now I'm sure that this is not the way to go since I haven't read it
anywhere, but I did anyway, installed, got db_file installed and then tried
apache::request again. It failed testing again and again when it wouldn't
connect to the /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd that was running, on port 80,
user=apache and group=rt, as was in httpd.conf (the whole apache tree is
chown apache:rt). but I "make install" it anyway.

My mysql is running, since I can connect to it with mysql and run queries.
RT's installtion couldn't connect claiming:

Password: DBI->connect(;host=localhost) failed: Can't connect to local MySQL
server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) at
//opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 80
Failed to connect to dbi:mysql:;host=localhost as root: Can't connect to
local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) at
//opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 80, <STDIN> line 1.
make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255

Is it that I didn't install MySQL correctly, or something is missing with
the dependencies?

did anybody install on a Mandrake 9.0 and has full installation notes from
the CD insertion to full RT working?

I can't even begin to describe how frustrated I am with all this...

thanks in advance,

/Shmulik.

Shmulik Gazit
Application Engineer