[rt-users] Experiences with RT 3.0 and RTFM 2.0 beta

Mike Schmidt mike at sepia.com
Sun Mar 30 18:01:17 EST 2003

I've installed RT3.0 (Release version) with Apache 2 and mod_perl 2.0 on a
Red Hat 8 box. RT3.0 seems to work very well, although I had some problems
getting it to work. Here is a description of the problems:

1. "[warning]: [Mason] Cannot resolve file to component:
/var/www/error/HTTP_FORBIDDEN.html.var (is file outside component root?)"

RT3 was installed in /usr/local/rt3, but Apache's home directory is
/var/www. When error messages have to be issued, RT can't find the
/var/www/error directory because mason says it's not within the scope of
ComponentRoot. I solved this by linking the error directory to
/usr/local/rt3/share/html/error, and copying the Apache options for that
directory into RT's virtual host configuration.  Even then, the error pages
do appear, but all languages at once, instead of just the current language.

2. "Directory index forbidden by rule: /usr/local/rt3/share/html/"

The directory addresses (i.e. urls ending in /), where we expect Apache to
go to the index.html file, did not work. No matter what options I set,
Apache either gives "directory display not permitted" or it does a
directory display, which in neither case is the right thing. I finally
solved the problem by putting a redirect into the virtual host config, like
this:

        RedirectMatch permanent (.*)/$ http://myaddress.com$1/index.html

I don't know why this happens, but I've seen other mentions of this kind of
problem. In any case, the redirect fix works ok.

3. RT's localization works quite well, at least so far. This was one of my
reasons for wanting to switch to 3.0. I haven't been able to figure out
approvals yet, but that's another feature that looks like a good thing to me.

4. I've integrated the RTFM beta with RT, and there, there are a few problems:

- If I go to RTFM from the main menu, the RT menu items disappear, and I'm
only in RTFM. This makes it hard to get back to RT. I don't really yet
understand fully how to use RTFM, so this may be not a problem.
- If I've switched languages, RT is in the expected language, but there
seems to be no localization for RTFM, so its messages come out in english
(except for the occasional message that's identical to an RT message -
those get translated).

If anyone has any ideas or comments, please...

Mike

Mike Schmidt                        Systèmes Scientifiques SEPIA/Intello
President                              SEPIA Scientific Systems/Intello
Tel: 450-358-2266                  100 Richelieu, suite 2000
Fax: 450-358-2267                 Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu
e-mail: mike at sepia.com        Québec, Canada J3B 6X3
cell: 514-835-9497
http://www.sepia.com            http://www.intello.com

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
To reply to our email administrator directly, select the following
<mailto:postmaster at sepia.com>