[rt-users] Re: DMCA cease and desist letters

seph seph at directionless.org
Tue Nov 4 20:40:55 EST 2003

>>From those that have used RTIR, is it better suited for something like
> this, or am I better off with RT?

I don't really know anything about rtir, it might be more suitable to
your workflow. I'm sure someone will comment.

> Is there a central list of all the methods that RT exposes?  I've been
> reading through the source, but it's tedious.

I don't think so. perldoc is cleaner than reading the raw
source. perldoc selected files.

> To what extent is http://fsck.com/rtfm out of date?  Is it mostly current?

it's mostly for rt2, and you're rt3. it should all be good background,
and help you understand things, but it's unlikely to be directly
applicable.

> Has anybody done anything like this before?  Am I reinventing the wheel?
> Any pointers, comments, etc. regarding the process?  Is it technically
> feasible?

It certainly should be feasible.

> 1)  The General Counsel's office forwards the notice to an address that
> creates a ticket and autoreplies to them.  The ticket stays in the name of
> the General Counsel's office so they get status reports, resolution notice,
> etc.
> 2)  An OnCreate scrip fires that parses the ticket body for IP, Date/Time,
> and infringing files, does database lookups, etc. and creates an email (or
> child ticket) from a template.

parsing the email seems potentially annoying. the scrip is just
comprised of perl code, and you'd end up parsing the raw
email. There's always lots of places it can go wrong. Can you get the
general counsel's office to submit a form letter or use a webpage for
submission?

you should be able to create custom fields for the various things you
care about, and have your scrip populate them.

> My next step is #2.  I'm looking at ExtractCustomFieldValues from the
> contrib directory as a start for creating the Action, but I'm looking for
> other pointers.

I expect that extracts the custom fields, so not useful in parsing out
the offending ip and date/time, but useful later on in getting the
user and mac address info back out of the ticket. (unless you get them
to submit tickets in such a way to create custom fields)

I think the rest is pretty straightforward.

seph