[rt-users] Recommended configuration for a stable working RT3 deployment

Walt Reed rt at linuxguy.com
Tue Nov 25 06:21:48 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:00:30AM -0000, Marshall, Darren said:
> From: Harald Wagener [mailto:hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com]
>> Am 24.11.2003 um 17:19 schrieb Marshall, Darren:
>>>
>>> I'm currently evaluating RT3 (3.0.5) on a server running Redhat 9 and
>>> am experiencing problems with attachments and occasional Storable.xs
>>> errors.
>>>
>>> My question is -
>>>
>>> What would be the recommended software configuration for running a
>>> stable, fully functional RT3 deployment based on Linux?.
>>
>> RedHat 9 has a recorded history of having the 'wrong' versions of some
>> packages, which have bugs that render RT3 problematic.
>
> Thanks for the info, I will maybe try Debian unstable, anyone else have any recommendations?.

Due to the nit picky dependencies and required compiler options of all
the various components, IMHO the best way to handle this is to download
and compile all the various bits and pieces and installed them in a
local tree (such as /usr/local.) When I say "all the bits and pieces",
I'm referring to perl, apache, mod_perl, and all the perl modules. You
might get away with the version of MySQL that comes with the OS however.

It seems like a large task (and IS to a certain extent) but it's well
worth it in the long run. You are creating a stable environment so that
it's MUCH less likely that OS changes / upgrades will break your RT
environment. If you are creating a production installation, this is what
I would recommend.

Debian unstable changes a LOT. If you keep your system up to date, RT
will eventually break.

HOWEVER, RT is also a debian package. You can just "apt-get install
request-tracker3" and go. This "should" always work, but again: you are
working with an unstable branch.