[rt-users] Can anyone help me with a step by step config of RT?

Walt Reed rt at linuxguy.com
Fri Oct 3 05:32:26 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 06:05:19AM +0000, Ada Hui said:
> When i start httpd, it give me an error message :
> Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
> 127.0.0.1 for ServerName.
>
> So i just tired to login from that machine using localhost. Is it means
> that things go wrong? It is my first time to configure apache, so  i may be
> making silly mistake. Please tell me if i have done anything wrong. Thanks
> a lot.

Well, this means that your hostname config is not totally set right.

The "hostname" command can tell you more.

If you just type "hostname" it should give you the short name of your
machine, like:

wreed at gw:~$ hostname
gw

Then try this:

wreed at gw:~$ hostname -f
gw.linuxguy.com

If hostname -f does not give you the full name, then you need to make
sure it is set. Make sure your /etc/hosts file is set something like
this (notice the fully qualified domain name is before the short name):

wreed at gw:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.99.1    gw.linuxguy.com gw

Note: if you make any changes, you MAY have to reboot for it to pick up
all over.

In apache's httpd.conf, you can also set:

ServerName gw.linuxguy.com