[rt-users] Data loss in CGI submissions?

Victor Danilchenko danilche at cs.umass.edu
Fri Oct 10 09:51:20 EDT 2003

	Hi,
	We have ran into a peculiar problem with RT. When submitting CGI
forms, certain data get lost -- for example, when resolving a ticket and
also filling in the 'time worked' field, the said field never gets
updated.

	I was able to narrow it doen further with RTFM. Specifically, we
have two text-single fields available -- Comment and Meta-Comment -- and
they work fine, as long as Comment isn't large. if you have a large
Comment field, Meta-Comment becomes impossible to update (it comes after
Comment): each time you try to update it, it simply doesn't get updated,
and that's that.  You can however first fill in the Meta-Comment, and
then fill in the large body of text for the Comment, and both values get
retained.

	I thought this to be a browser problem, so I tested it under a
few different browsers -- IE, Camino, and Safari under OS/X, and Mozilla
1.4 under Linux. While the parameters change (data loss varies depending
on the browser), the data loss nonetheless occurs every time. Sometimes
a large text field will get sliced up in the middle, sometimes simply
text values get lost, but th eoverall trend persists.

	We have seen this behavior both under Apache/mod_perl w/ RT
3.0.2, and Apache2/mod_perl2 w/ RT 3.0.6. Could this be related to Mason
argument handling? Does anyone know where this problem comes from, and
how it could be solved?

	Thanks,

--
|  Victor  Danilchenko  | Of course my password is the same as    |
| danilche at cs.umass.edu | my pet's name. My macaw's name was      |