[rt-users] Re: Users with multiple e-mail addresses, and their ACL rights

Victor Danilchenko danilche at cs.umass.edu
Mon Oct 27 13:40:15 EST 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, seph wrote:

>> 	We have an RT installation that is configured to allow everyone
>> to create tickets, but only requesters and CCs to correspond on tickets.
>> This creates an interesting problem; people with multiple e-mail
>> addresses often end up having their correspondence rejected, because
>> they created the ticket from one mail address but responded to the
>> followup message from another address. has anyone grappled with this
>> problem?
>
>Have you read the config file? or the docs? or even the mailing list
>archives? rt supports this through the canonicalize email routine.

	yes, I have read these sources, and I am aware of
canonicalization. We have it enabled; but it's not enough. For example,
we have multiple aliases for the mail server, and we canonicalize those;
but many people have mail addresses outside the department, and others
have distinct mail addresses within the department (for example, a user
who is also a support person for a research group, with a distinct alias
for that, and who corresponds both from his canonical address and the
said support address).

	Basically, as coarse a tool as canonicalization can solve a
limited scope of problems; these problems are the most common ones, of
course, but canonicalization doesn't help us any when a department chair
initiates a ticket from departmental mail address, and tries to follow
up from his address at a different university.

	What we need is some systemic way to treat multiple distinct
e-mails as belonging to the same RT account on a per-account basis.
Sounds like there is currently no such facility in RT. maybe i will look
into it when I understand RT better...

P.S. Frankly, I didn't even think of canonicalization WRT this problem,
because we already have it enabled. Sorry for not mentioning that
explicitly.

--
| danilche at cs.umass.edu | Does Emacs have the buddha nature?           |
|   CSCF   |   5-4231   | Why not, it has bloody well everything else! |