[rt-users] RT3 on Redhat 9 - known problems

Harald Wagener hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com
Tue Sep 16 05:36:39 EDT 2003

On Montag, 15. September 2003, at 21:51Uhr, Richard Irving wrote:

>   Someone online here said they had RedHat 9,
> Apache, and RT all working as a platform...
>
>   Any chance we could talk you out of
> versions of all the above....
>
>  Using RH 9, 3.0.5 RT, and 4.0.14 MySql,
> Perl 5.8.0, and CPAN DBI's (1.67 ?)....
>
> is about as friendly as pulling ones
> own teeth.....

There has been extensive discussion about RT on RH9 on this list. The
archives should have plenty of information. Konwn gotcha's:

- the mod_perl shipped for apache2 is a beta release, earlier packages
had a severe bug that
   kept RT from working. One possible solution is to use mod_fastcgi
with apache2, one other
   to downgrade to apache 1.3.x and mod_perl1

- LANG/LC_ALL set to something with UTF might cause problems while
compiling perl modules
   from CPAN. One possible solution was to set LANG=C and LC_ALL=C
before compilation

- perl 5.8.0 has a bug that keeps the Storable Perl Module shipped with
RH9 from working
   correctly. One possible solution is to upgrade Storable - a version
including a
   workaround has been released

- MySQL 4.x is recommended for RT, but not shipped by RH. The .rpms
provided by mysql.com
   seem to make Redhat users happy

- The Statistics package needs GD::Graph and the newest version of that
needs libgd 2.x, but
   Redhat only ships version 1.8.4. You need to either get an older
version of GD::Graph or a
   newer version of libgd to get the pretty images

- There might be other problems I forgot in this short list. But it is
possible to have RT 3
   running on RH9

Regards,
     Harald