[rt-users] Good Instruction for RT3 + Apache2 + FastCGI + MYSQL

Richard Gration richard at zync.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 07:20:08 EDT 2003

Rommie wrote:
> I have problem initializing my postgres database when I issue
>
> # make initialize-database
>
> /usr/bin/perl //usr/local/rt/sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --dba
> root --prompt-for-dba-password
> In order to create a new database and grant RT access to that database,
> this script needs to connect to your Pg instance on localhost as root.
> Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no
> database
> password, just press return.
>
> Password: DBI connect('dbname=template1;host=localhost','root',...)
> failed: could not connect to server: Connection refused at
> //usr/local/rt/sbin/rt-setup-database line 80
> Failed to connect to dbi:Pg:dbname=template1;host=localhost as root: could
> not connect to server: Connection refused at
> //usr/local/rt/sbin/rt-setup-database line 80, <STDIN> line 1.
> make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255

<SNIP>

> -------------------------
> Im not sure if we have the same problem. I quite new with postgres, so I
> don't know how to check and change this TCP connection.
>

> --rommie

If the database is on the same box you are running RT on, then you don't
need to start postgres with TCP connections enabled, unix sockets will
do. That said, you can start postgres with the "-i" option to make it
listen for TCP connections, on port 5432 by default.

I think your problem is more likely to be that the connection is being
tried as user root, which is the mysql database superuser. The
postgresql db superuser is "postgres". Somewhere in the RT configure.in
or Makefile or however it's config'ed, there is an option to specify the
db superuser. Change it from root to postgres.

HTH
Rick