[rt-users] More Debugging (was First time install - can't login)

Walt Reed rt at linuxguy.com
Fri Sep 26 15:07:08 EDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 01:34:19PM -0400, Walt Reed said:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:25:35AM -0400, Walt Reed said:
> > I installed RT (3.0.6) for the first time on RedHat 8, Mysql 4.0.14, modperl1,
> > etc. The configure and setup went flawless.
> >
> > Only problem: can't login to the system with "root" and the default
> > password of "password". It just returns me to the login screen.
> >
> > I don't get any error messages in any log files (apache, syslog, or the
> > RT log file)
> >
> > I saw some other messages about this problem in the archives, but no
> > solutions.
> >
> > Any pointers? How can I turn logging on to debug this? I already have
> > this set:
> > Set($LogToSyslog    , 'debug');
> > Set($LogToScreen    , 'error');
> > Set($LogToFile      , 'debug');
> > Set($LogDir, '/usr/local/rt/var/log');
> > Set($LogToFileNamed , "rt.log");    #log to rt.log
> >
> > There is NOTHING in any logs.
>
> OK, I started plowing around the login code, trying to figure this thing
> out. I'm not finding any debug / logging code. Is there a way to turn on
> debugging?? How does it log if there are no logging statements???
> In fact, while the rt.log file is created, it's empty.
>
> RT is creating a session cookie that I can see in my browser, so that
> part works, but beyond that I can't see any activity at all. Nothing in
> the apache log, nothing in syslog, nothing in rt.log.

OK, have heard nothing from other users on this list, but I have been
doing some debugging.

It seems that in "autohandler", the values for $user and $pass are Never
set.

Obviously, they are set from the form in Login, but I'm having a hard
time following things from there.
In fact, HOW does autohandler get called? If someone can decipher the
following line, this may help:
<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="<% (UNIVERSAL::can($r, 'uri') && ($r->uri) =~ m!.*/(.*)!) %>" >

Does this mean it goes to the document root for RT?
What is the flow from there?