[Rt-users] Custom Statuses

Dave Dennis dmd at speakeasy.org
Thu Apr 15 15:45:38 EDT 2004

Yes, that is absolutely true.

I am simply pointing out that other products out there in this space
let you set conditions on resolving, and that is a pretty primary
workflow adjustment if the RT system is going to be able to accommodate
diverse installations, and that finally while custom mods are certainly
a wonderful thing, try making the case to someone who has seen
small company after small company go belly up in the Windows space
particularly ... and that leaves us with an orphan product, custom
mods or not.  I am trying to make the case for wider functionality
over custom mods, because as one who has worked for small software
houses before, custom mods have a way of turning out to be alot of
work later on, like when upgrades come, and even the best CRM between
Best Practical and customers with mods still runs the risk of a custom
install requiring hand-holding every single time an upgrade is released
later on.  Then one gets into the adversarial relationship of custom site
and company, what is covered by the contract and what is not, endless
bickering over whether a mod was the fault of the next problem, on and on.

Better (in my view) to have basic functionality be a part of the product, and in
my opinion again, configurable end-game condition names is not a custom mod, its
a base functionality.

Your business model is your business, and more power to you.

Kind regards,

+ Dave Dennis
+ Seattle, WA
+ dmd at speakeasy.org