[rt-users] Performance issues with RT3 (all versions)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Aug 3 13:40:48 EDT 2004

On Aug 3, 2004, at 10:48 AM, Jon Masters wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For quite some time we have been running RT3 to track support issues,
> following my recommendation of the software. Although various
> configurations have been used, I am currently debugging an instance
> running on a Debian testing box with the specification below because
> the faster production machine (running Mandrake release 9) cannot be
> tinkered with for the moment and performace problems plague both.

An upgrade to Perl 5.8 just hit my Debian Testing machine recently.  I
saw notes on the lists here that it made a major difference.  I have a
3500 ticket system with lots of file attachments, and InnoDB turned on
in MySQL (it's off by default if you upgraded to Testing and didn't
turn it on).  The machine is an Athlon 2500 with 512 MB RAM, and a
software RAID1 root filesystem.  I'm running apache1 with mod_perl.

I'd say performance on my system is "usable" but not speedy.  On a
pretty big box.  But RT is also doing a LOT of stuff under the hood, so
I have no complaints.  I also hear that apache1/mod_perl is slower than
other options, but haven't had time to fiddle with other setups.

You didn't mention ANY of the above variables, so it's really hard to
make a remote guess at what your problem might be, but I'd say the
Celeron 600 is probably the biggest bottleneck.  When you're doing live
queries, etc... what does the load average look like on the machine and
which processes are taking up CPU?  How much RAM do you have?  (I
noticed large performance increases when I tweaked MySQL to allow for
bigger queries and larger result sets as documented here on the lists a
few times, but the trade-off is that 512MB RAM really isn't enough --
the machine is hitting swap from time to time as it handles other
services also, and I need to add RAM to alleviate that.)

Gotta run, but we all probably need more info.  If your complaint is a
general one regarding performance I'm sure Jesse and gang would happily
accept any thoughts on how to improve it.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com