[rt-users] Attachments with international characters (Intern)

Ruslan U. Zakirov cubic at acronis.ru
Mon Aug 23 07:15:09 EDT 2004

Marcus Ramberg wrote:

> On 20. aug. 2004, at 13.37, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>
>> On Aug 19, 2004, at 12:52 PM, <ronny.pettersen at edb.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ah. So the issue isn't actually that RT doesn't handle messages with
>> international characters, but that we only process the message headers
>> for international characters and MIME::Tools doesn't do smart things
>> on our behalf :/
>>
>> I wonder if Email::MIME handles it better.
>

> I think it does, I've been using Email::MIME in a system that processes
> attatchments with swedish filename, and those were handled ok. Anyways,
> it's easier to bother Simon if it's borked :-D I'm also very interested
> in getting this issue resolved, as it's been an annoyance for us for
> about a year now. :-/
>
> Marcus

		Hello.

According to RFC2047:
http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2047/Output/chapter5.html

An 'encoded-word' MUST NOT be used in parameter of a MIME Content-Type
or Content-Disposition field, or in any structured field body except
within a 'comment' or 'phrase'.

Also RFC2183
http://zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2183/Output/chapter2.html#sub2

2.3. The Filename Parameter
Current [RFC2045] grammar restricts parameter values (and hence
Content-Disposition filenames) to US-ASCII. We recognize the great
desirability of allowing arbitrary character sets in filenames, but it
is beyond the scope of this document to define the necessary mechanisms.
We expect that the basic [RFC1521(-> 2049draft | 2048bcp13 | 2047draft |
2046draft | 2045draft)] `value' specification will someday be amended to
allow use of non-US-ASCII characters, at which time the same mechanism
should be used in the Content-Disposition filename parameter.

Today RFC2045 describe syntax of the 'value' and it's still restricted
to US-ASCII.

In original example only Content-Description field is compliant with
current RFC, so other fields is violation of RFC and can be implemented
in any way.

				Best regards. Ruslan.