[rt-users] Database integrity check?

Garret Gengler garretg at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 23 15:10:19 EDT 2004

Are there any proven techniques for cleaning up an old RT database before
migration/upgrade?

We've been running an old 3.x installation for about two years now (12,000
tickets), and want to set up a new box with the latest version of RT and
mysql4/INNODB.

But I'm hesitant about migrating our database directly... we've had
intermittent performance problems and quite a few crashes over the years,
and I'm sure our data violates the schema relationships in some places.

What would be great would be some sort of export tool, and a smart import
with schema checking.  The dumpfile upgrade from rt2 to rt3 seemed to do
something like that, but I haven't found a similar tool for rt3 to rt3.   Or
a utility to scan the RT database for violations of the data model and
remove any mismatching data.  True referential integrity would be a godsend,
but I know that's still a ways off.

On a related not, I was thinking it might be a good idea to simplify our
database by purging deleted tickets... is the RT::Shredder utility safe to
use?  Or is it missing parts of the data model (like the purgedead.pl script
is).

Thanks,
-Garret