[rt-users] Re: two RT3's on the same Debian box

Jens Porup jens at cyber.com.au
Thu Aug 26 03:16:36 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 12:09:23AM -0700, Bruce Timberlake wrote:
> > I want to run two separate instances of request-tracker3 on a Debian box. I
> > know it's relatively easy to run simultaneous instances of RT2 and RT3--but
> > two RT3s seems another matter entirely.
> >
> > Is this on a FAQ anywhere? Or can someone suggest the best way to approach
> > this problem?
>
> Wouldn't you just set up two virtual sites in Apache, one for each instance of
> RT3 (rt1.example.org and rt2.example.org), and then make sure each RT
> instance is configured to use a unique database (tickets1 and tickets2 or
> something)??
>
> I haven't done a multiple install one one server myself, but from the very
> little bit of digging I've done into the config files in the last few weeks,
> I don't think it should be a problem to do something like that.
>
> My $0.02... I'm sure someone with actual experience can offer more input.

I understand how to set up the two virtual hosts.

But how do I install two *packaged* request-tracker3 instances?

I can't do an "apt-get install request-tracker3" again--I've already got
one installed!

This is more a Debian packaging question than anything else... sure I
can get a fresh tarball and put it in /usr/local/, but a packaged
solution would be optimal.

Jens