[rt-users] Choice of platform

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Dec 7 11:00:45 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 02:56, Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:
> Thanks to everybody. I compiled perl 5.8.3 on Scientific Linux 3.03
> (RedHat EL3 update 3 actually). Now I am fighting hard with mod_perl
> which refuses to rebuild.

[...]

> I find it hard and I am still considering other options like having
> a separate Fedora Core 2 machine for RT or using the RPMs provided
> for RHEL. I am still wondering how different RT3.10 is from RT3.2...

If you have to ask how bad an out-of-date RPM package is, you should
probably quickly look elsewhere. The whole advantage of RPM
installations is the ease of doing updates when someone else does
the work of rebuilding the package. If the package isn't
being maintained, do yourself a favor and work from source.

However, this does bring up a different question that has been
answered before but I'm still confused by what I've seen about it.
RHEL is somewhat odd about backing in bugfixes from new program
versions without bumping the package version number.  I think I
have seen claims that the RHEL3 perl 5.8.0 actually works correctly
with RT3.  Can someone who is using it confirm that or explain what
problems to expect?

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com