[rt-users] Sub Queues

Ruslan U. Zakirov cubic at acronis.ru
Mon Feb 9 13:10:00 EST 2004

Cerion Armour-Brown wrote:
> Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
>
>>Kevin Moran wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I'm trying to create a more hierarchical queing system for RT and was
>>>wondering how I can create sub queues.
>>
>>I don't think that it's reasonable effort.
>>Hierarchial structures slow down system a lot. For eg current user's
>>rights subsytem or Ticket's EffectiveIds or Attachment's structure.
>>
>>So here is collision between perfomance and flexibility.
>>
>>We have allready this structure on CFs level.
>>For eg for queue bugs we have custom field 'module' with values:
>>'Documentation', 'xxx lib', 'web site'....
>

> This would allow one to bring together similar queues, but what about
> dissimilar queues, e.g.
> Project {Docs, Dev, Support, etc.}
> Putting all these into one queue 'Project', would be a complete mess, surely?
>
> I assume the idea is rather to have umpteen queues all at the same level, such
> as: ProjX_Docs, ProjX_Dev, ProjX_Support, ...
> But this would get pretty unwieldy with more than a few different projects.
>
> Does anyone out there have any examples that would clarify how to set up /
> maintain a multi-project system?

If projects so different that you need different queues for customers
support, then just split it in different RT instance.

We have multi-project system with multi-lang/level support, but we have
one instance.

Queues: support%, bugs, tasks...
+ custom per project stat page
+ CFs: project...
+ scrips which do some workflow automation.

I think it's fine enought.
For eg Bugzilla use same CF style for different projs and everything fine.