[rt-users] Re: Automatic user information retrieval

Tuomas Haarala tuoppi at hieno.net
Tue Feb 10 02:16:09 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 03:52:40PM +0300, Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
>>	It would be a great help to get all the related user information
> It's bogus to save any info in CFs about requestor. There is allready
> table for user's info in RT and its name Users. Many reasons why it's bogus.

	Hello,

	There are reasons why at least I would see some use for getting
	the extra information from external source:

	- file containing extra information of the users could be simply
	  created by those non-technical persons, who track all of the
	  employees
	- phone numbers (and other information) change from time to time,
	  it is not rational to occupy the RT admins doing parallel task
	  of updating the user information everytime someones info changes
	  somehow
	- RT's user interface becomes rather difficult to use when there
	  are several hundred users in the RT user database

	Imagine yourself being a helpdesk worker: Someone calls you or
	emails you. You get his/hers phonenumber, email address and/or
	his/hers name. It is waste of time, and gets really boring to
	ask for all of the information (phone number, office location,
	email address, etc etc) again and again, with every case.
	On the other hand, it would be really handy to type in the
	information you initially got when the person emailed or called,
	and click on "complete information".

	Therefore, I would like to keep things simple: no actual user
	accounts into RT for the clients, but their information
	easily available into ticket for resolvers to use.

Cheers,
Tuomas Haarala