[rt-users] Postfix + RT3 Guide

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Wed Feb 11 12:01:17 EST 2004

Dean Brissinger scripted ::

>Check the 'my_destinations' parameter for $mydomain.  Make sure this is
>_NOT_ in the list (it is by default).  Reading the tread I suspect you
>have created a mail loop where postfix gets mail and resends to itself.
>This doesn't work obviously so it bounces the message.
>
>I suggest you draw a mail flow-chart so you can visualize how the mail
>should flow.  Should your rt server take mails directly?  (
>rt at host.example.com <mailto:rt at host.example.com> ) or shall all mail be
>relayed through an existing host ( rt at example.com
><mailto:rt at example.com>  via MX server).  That's up to you...  But
>here's the magic Postfix formula for the later case.  Make sure you
>enable smtp in master.conf and also don't have any firewalls running.

I think the following link in master.conf enables smtp. Correct?
smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -v

I'm trying to get iptables to shutdown. Is iptables -F sufficient to remove any
block it might have?

>------------ <snip> -------------------
>
># For a mail server that does NOT answer mail for other machines or
>relay mail for
># other machines $mydomain must NOT be listed.  This will create a mail
>loop!
>#
>mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain

This is set as follows:
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain rt.$mydomain it.$mydomain

># This is the default I beleave...  But just in case:
>#
>relay_domains = $mydestination

This was commented out.

># If your site has a proper DNS setup you'll have an MX entry for your
>local domain.
># In this case, setting this to $mydomain will cause postfix to find
>your mail server(s)
># automatically.  This is ideal, but change this to the hostname of your
>mail server if
># it does not work.
>#
>relayhost = $mydomain
>
># You need to tell postfix where the aliases are.  This file should have
>your aliases for
># rt that pipe in to the mail program.  Use "dbm:/etc/aliases" on Linux.
>#
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
>
># Always fall back to localhost.  If you set this to a domain name and
>want to recieve
># local mail things will get very nasty very fast.
>#
>mydomain_fallback = localhost

I don't have this in my config at all. Adding it to the bottom

>------------ <snip> -------------------

>Another thing for you to check if this doesn't clear up your problem...
>You may get a bounce message if RT cannot create a new case due to
>access rights.  If this is true, you'll see a message show up in your
>Apache error_log.

I'm getting the following in my error_log, but I don't think it's related and so
I'm putting it off till I get this solved.

[Mon Feb  9 22:18:04 2004] [crit]: Trying to check RT::FM::Class rights for an
unspecified RT::FM::Class (/opt/rt3/lib/RT/Principal_Overlay.pm:355)

I don't think it's related because it's happening at times that don't appear
related to emails. It might just be something with custom fields that I set up.
I'm not sure and haven't really checked.

JSR/