[rt-users] Sub Queues... -> RT deployment examples?

Michael S. Liebman m-liebman at northwestern.edu
Sat Feb 14 08:43:25 EST 2004

At 12:37 PM 2/13/2004, Cerion Armour-Brown wrote:
>I see - so how do you manage multiple levels in your issue tracking?
>Or do you simply find it's not necessary?

I don't enforce a relationship in an issue tracking queue because, most
often, the issues are not that critically linked. I do have CFs to make
searching easier. I've found it is hard enough to get support staff fill in
simple information like platform and OS when a user calls in that forcing
much more information into a ticket is not worth it. I leave it up to
second level support people and managers to create links between tickets
and fill in the details of what application or component of an application
is  affected.

>My trouble is I've never used a system like this... perhaps what I really
>need
>is a project management course ;)

I'll be honest that most of my experience is not with RT but Remedy ARS.
The theories are still the same. The implementation is just different.
Project management and software engineering are different disciplines.
Education in both (formally in project management and informally in
software engineering) has been very enlightening for me. I found that I
don't necessary agree with the real world applicability of some of the
things the purists say. But, it has helped me improve the processes that I
do use and understand a lot of what my suppliers do.

Michael

Michael S. Liebman                      m-liebman at northwestern.edu
                 http://msl521.freeshell.org/
"I have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
        -Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"