[rt-users] rt3 and Debian Woody

Stephen Quinney stephen at jadevine.org.uk
Wed Feb 18 04:27:33 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:33:45AM +1300, Greig McGill wrote:

> > didn't notice you were pulling from a user's directory.  Sorry about
> > that. 3.0.8 is in unstable and 3.0.6 is in sarge (the next release).
> >
> > Sarge is shaping up nicely, you might want to consider upgrading.
> > Otherwise, backporting it should not be too hard.  The worst of it will
> > probably be the perl depends.
>
> Hmmm, I think you're missing my point! :)
> Someone already has backported it to woody.  That someone being Stephen
> Quinney.  Duplicating all that work would be a waste of time.
> I'm simply wondering where the existing backport has gone.

Apologies for not saying anything about this before now.

When Debian had some of its servers cracked a while back all the stuff
in people's public_html directories on people.debian.org got removed
and we all lost our logins for a while. Since then i've not had the
time to recreate all the backports of packages needed to get rt3 for
woody.

There is also the fact that people are seeing such huge improvements
with perl 5.8.3 over any previous version of perl. This suggests to me
that I shouldn't really be encouraging people to use rt3 with perl 5.6.

As it stands I am not going to have the time for a while to get back
to this, (we may or may not want woody packages of rt3 at my work). I
would recommend that people seriously consider running a sarge box if
they want rt3 with Debian now. It has all the packages you need and
should be using to run rt3, with full support from myself and the
other maintainer of the request-tracker3 package.

Stephen Quinney