[rt-users] How can I setup one drop down list to affect the contents of another?

Kelly F. Hickel kfh at mqsoftware.com
Mon Feb 23 18:18:04 EST 2004

(Warning, the following may be impossible, but I need to do it anyway,
so there! ;> )

Our support folks want to be able to create tickets when customers call
in as opposed to sending an email (fair enough so far, I say).  We want
to get the requestor field set properly for customer that's calling in
(right, yeah, OK).  They don't want to have to know or type the caller's
email address or username into the Requestors field (OK, well, I can
understand that too).

So, I modified Create.html, added an Organization and Person (for lack
of a better, non-overloaded term) and I have the Organization box doing
what I want (listing all the unique org names for all users), but now
for the tricky bit.  I want the Person field to contain a list of all
the users with the same org name as chosen in the Org drop down.  So, I
seem to have (at least) a couple problems.  How to get the selected org
value (which presumably only exists in the browser until they hit a
button) into the routine to populate the Person drop down (except it's
too late since it's populated before they selected an Org), and do so in
a way that doesn't get confused between multiple users creating tickets
at the same time.

So, I think that I need a way for the Org drop down to take an action
when a selection is made, that will cause the form to repopulate, and I
need to get the value into the other drop down, which I could probably
do with mason globals, but how would I keep the sessions sorted out.

Hopefully I'm making this harder than it really is, and some kind soul
can guide me out of this maze of twisty little passages........

--

Kelly F. Hickel

Senior Software Architect

MQSoftware, Inc