[rt-users] RT 3.0.7_1 Prompting for conversion of attachments

Jim Ficarra jficarra at crosscurrent.com
Tue Jan 6 17:01:28 EST 2004

When adding binary attachments (Word, Excel) through the Web interface, it
requests a file conversion.  I did some searching on the list archives, and
it seemd to be an issue with RT 3.0.3, but it's happening with RT 3.0.7_1.

Here is the profile of the RT install:

Redhat 9.0
PERL 5.8.0
MySQL 4.0.17
RT 3.0.7_1

I found the following article,
http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2003-April/013248.html, which
essentially said to change the order of inbound encodings and set the
outbound email encoding to iso-8859-1 in RT_SiteConfig.pm as follows:

From:
@EmailInputEncodings = qw(utf-8 iso-8859-1  us-ascii);
Set($EmailOutputEncoding , 'utf-8');

To:
@EmailInputEncodings = qw(iso-8859-1 utf-8 us-ascii);
Set($EmailOutputEncoding , 'iso-8859-1');

This did seem to work.  Old attachments don't work, of course, but newly
attached ones do.

UTF-8 caused me another problem earlier while I was installing the PERL
modules....Make complained of a missing separator.  The solution I found was
to change the LANG shell variable from en_US.UTF-8 to en_US, at least
temporarily.

Questions:

1) Will the encoding change cause problems in other parts of the
applications?

2) Any words of wisdom?

3) Why the heck does UTF-8 seem to cause so many problems? :)

Thanks in advance.

-Jim Ficarra