[rt-users] httpd speed on rt3

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Tue Jan 20 21:05:43 EST 2004

I use postgresql. And, I did a check as to how much time was spent by
postgresql handling the queries, and althogh the same question was asked
over a hundred times, which surely is a bug, postgresql spent around 800 ms
doing queries. The request tooks six seconds. And, perl waiting for
postgresql hardly eats CPU, it's a network connection (or in this case unix
domain socket) waiting for data. Most of the queries where pretty simple,
only a few took more than a couple of milliseconds.

Perl probably goes into a loop handling this same data it gets more than a
hundred times, but it hardly eats cycles while waiting for it to come.

As for MySQL, I have no experience, but isn't 4.x much more competent in
terms of what SQL it handles, compared to 3.x? This perhaps comes with a
price, a performance penalty? But as I said, I have no experience with
MySQL, been using postgresql since 1995... :)

Palle

--On tisdag, januari 20, 2004 09.34.46 -0500 Mike Frazer