[rt-users] Problem running RT 3.2.1 with Apache 2.x & FastCGI

Gonzalo Servat gonzalo at linuxaus.com
Sat Jul 17 09:47:00 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Just upgrading from RT 3.0 on Apache 1.x, mod_perl & MySQL to RT 3.2.1
on Apache 2.x, FastCGI & PostgreSQL (quite an upgrade, huh?). I had
reasons for switching to PostgreSQL. The server is running PostgreSQL
7.3.x and MySQL 3.x. RT requires MySQL 4.x (or later) or PostgreSQL 7.2
(or later). It seemed like a much bigger job to upgrade MySQL (just
incase anything else broke) to 4.x than to just convert the RT database
to PostgreSQL, so I did that.

I did run the upgrade scripts in etc/upgrade following the RT install.

After fulfilling all the Perl module requirements, and installing
FastCGI, I'm ready to test RT. The virtualhost stanza looks like this:

<VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80>
        ServerName support.domain.com
        DocumentRoot /path/to/rt3/share/html
        AddHandler fastcgi-script fcgi
        Alias /NoAuth/images/ /path/to/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images/
        ScriptAlias / /path/to/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
        <Location />
                AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
                SetHandler fastcgi-script
        </Location>
</VirtualHost>

.. and the FastCGI settings in httpd.conf are:

LoadModule fastcgi_module modules/mod_fastcgi.so
FastCgiIpcDir /tmp
FastCgiServer /path/to/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi

Anyway, the bottom line is in the Apache logs I'm getting the following
error when trying to access support.domain.com:

[Sat Jul 17 23:43:59 2004] [error] [client 209.50.252.138] FastCGI: comm
with server "/path/to/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" aborted: idle timeout
(30 sec)
[Sat Jul 17 23:43:59 2004] [error] [client 209.50.252.138] FastCGI:
incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server "/path/to/rt3/bin/
mason_handler.fcgi"

.. and on the browser just repots back an Internal Server Error.

I did some google'ing, and found I gotta switch the first line of mason.
fcgi to suidperl, which I did, but it didn't help (restarted Apache
too). The only other match I got from google was somebody having the
same issue on MacOSX, but Linux supports setuid perl so it's not the
same scenario.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Gonzalo