[rt-users] RT Crash... possible bug?

Chad Scott chad at idworld.net
Thu Jun 24 09:15:17 EDT 2004

I had my RT server crash yesterday (or, more accurately, decide to not
accept new e-mail).

Our server handles a high amount of traffic and had been running for
almost a year before this issue.  After about 30 minutes of debugging,
I discovered that the /tmp directory was completely full of File::Temp
files.  It appears that RT creates a temporary file/directory each time
an e-mail arrives.  These files don't appear to be properly cleaned up
by the system.

In investigating, I found a line in lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:

last if ( $fh, $temp_file ) = eval { File::Temp::tempfile(undef, UNLINK
=> 0) };

UNLINK => 0 specifically tells File::Temp to NOT remove a file when the
object is destroyed... this looks like some of the NFS logic, so maybe
that was intentional, but I believe this is where the file is created
but not removed.

Once I stopped apache, cleaned up the /tmp directory, and restarted,
the system ran fine again.

Hopefully you guys can track this down... everyone else, check your
/tmp directory!

Cheers,
Chad