[rt-users] RT Crash... possible bug? (/tmp directory)

jeff rak jeff at theorbitor.com
Thu Jun 24 09:25:07 EDT 2004

I believe this issue was fixed in 3.0.11. I had the same problem in 3.0.10 but
it magically disappeared when I upgraded ;-)

-Jeff

::On Thursday 24 June 2004 09:15 am, Chad Scott <chad at idworld.net> wrote:
::I had my RT server crash yesterday (or, more accurately, decide to not
::accept new e-mail).
::
::Our server handles a high amount of traffic and had been running for
::almost a year before this issue.  After about 30 minutes of debugging,
::I discovered that the /tmp directory was completely full of File::Temp
::files.  It appears that RT creates a temporary file/directory each time
::an e-mail arrives.  These files don't appear to be properly cleaned up
::by the system.
::
::In investigating, I found a line in lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:
::
::last if ( $fh, $temp_file ) = eval { File::Temp::tempfile(undef, UNLINK
::=> 0) };
::
::UNLINK => 0 specifically tells File::Temp to NOT remove a file when the
::object is destroyed... this looks like some of the NFS logic, so maybe
::that was intentional, but I believe this is where the file is created
::but not removed.
::
::Once I stopped apache, cleaned up the /tmp directory, and restarted,
::the system ran fine again.
::
::Hopefully you guys can track this down... everyone else, check your
::/tmp directory!
::
::Cheers,
::Chad