[rt-users] Request for comments: Configurable Status

Ruslan U. Zakirov cubic at acronis.ru
Thu Jun 24 12:30:43 EDT 2004

Jesse wrote:
> In the traditional RT model, the "Status" field is a simple, limited
> list of possible states that a ticket can be in. Roughly: untouched,
> active, temporarily inactive, permanently inactive.  For more advanced
> workflow, we've recommended that users create custom fields or use
> multiple queues to represent different workflow stages.  Of late,
> there's been an upswing in the number of users who would rather simply
> modify the existing "status" field.
Jesse, as you can see many users want extended statuses because CFs
aren't available in places where it should be.

I don't like idea that somebody can change statuses set.

If it would be then it would be in 3.2.x or even more in 3.4.x, but now
with 'Advanced RT Search Builder' we can construct complex queries on CFs.
As I can see it also allow customize output of search results and save
search query.
I think there is few steps needed to meet required flexibilty in this area:
1) Add ability to modify ticket's CFs on reply/comment/resolve... actions.
2) Add ability to put saved searches on own home page.
3) Add ability to output CFs in search results.

IMHO feature 1) should be in RT in any case.
We use one global CF State with 12 values that is something like
extended status and patch that I sent.
1) Our supporters pray on it. They change CF State on almost all actions.
2) Our developers love it. They can stall ticket and set up State =
'Deffered/Later' to prevent autoopenning. They can change product,
module or build num where issue was resolved with one click while
commenting/replying.
3) I use it because nobody knows in company whether it's in GUI or in RT
core bug is :)

				Best regards. Ruslan.