[rt-users] Debian setup: postgres problem?

Jens Porup jens at cyber.com.au
Fri Jun 25 02:56:24 EDT 2004

More info:

If I don't specify a host with the psql -h flag, this works fine:

	root at request-tracker:~# psql -d template1 -U rtuser -W
	Password:

	\h for help with SQL commands
	\? for help on internal slash commands
	\q to quit

	template1=>

And my /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf file includes the uncommented lines:

	tcpip_socket = true
	port = 5432

The tcpip_socket is the same as the postmaster -i flag which "Allows  clients
to  connect  via TCP/IP".

The server is running using /etc/init.d/postgresql start, although nmap
localhost does not list 5432 as being open.

I'm up against a brick wall here, people. Please help?

Thanks,

Jens