[rt-users] Debian setup: postgres problem?

Jens Porup jens at cyber.com.au
Fri Jun 25 02:48:03 EDT 2004

G'day,

I am trying to install Request Tracker on Debian testing.

	root at request-tracker:~# psql -h 127.0.0.1 -d template1 -U rtuser -W
	Password:
	psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
	Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting
	TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
	root at request-tracker:~#

I've read the postgresql manual, which helpfully informs me that " A
common mistake is to forget to configure the server to allow TCP/IP
connections."

...But then fails to tell me how to do that!

In my fiddling, at other times, I have managed to get manual login to
the database as rtuser to work, but then when I try to run the
/usr/sbin/rt-setup-database file, it fails on line 110. (The dbi
connect line)

A test perl script shows that specifying "host:localhost" on the dsn
causes the $dbi->connect to fail, and if I remove that bit I can
connect fine--in my test.pl script. But I don't want to have to go
hacking RT code!

I'm an experienced Perl programmer, but postgres is brand new to me, and
so is request tracker.

Thanks,

Jens