[rt-users] Is there a RT3-Hackers document?

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Sat Jun 26 11:57:21 EDT 2004

>emf wrote:
>> Is there anything like the Hackers document for RT3? Something
>> describing API, interfaces, or anything else about RT3 from the
>> customization perspective?
>Nothing describe API better then source code and POD around it.

   Well, true, but RTFSC is a bit abrupt, no?

   When I started (about RT 3.0.5), I found the Hacker's
   guide to RT2 very useful. Outdated and incomplete, but it
   did help orient me to RT-think.

   I think I know what emf wants (or what I wanted :-) -- an
   organized overview of the schema, objects and basic
   SearchBuilder, major subsystems (e.g. email, web, cli, scrips,
   privileges), hacking techniques (e.g. Dirk Pape's wiki on
   "CleanlyCustomizeRT"), even things like preferred coding style
   and patch creation.  The API for a specific Class is
   well enough described in the code/pod, but the overall
   RT meta-schema is not. (At least, it's not organized in one place.
   Many of these items are scattered about.)

   The wiki, itself, it a big step forward.  But it's not yet
   mature enough for what emf needs.

       bobg