[rt-users] Is there a RT3-Hackers document?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat Jun 26 12:03:19 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 10:57:21AM -0500, Bob Goldstein wrote:
> >emf wrote:
> >> Is there anything like the Hackers document for RT3? Something
> >> describing API, interfaces, or anything else about RT3 from the
> >> customization perspective?
> >Nothing describe API better then source code and POD around it.
>
>    Well, true, but RTFSC is a bit abrupt, no?
>
>    When I started (about RT 3.0.5), I found the Hacker's
>    guide to RT2 very useful. Outdated and incomplete, but it
>    did help orient me to RT-think.

Ok. That content is still (again) sitting at fsck.com/rtfm.  Feel free
to import it into the wiki and start hacking ;)

>    I think I know what emf wants (or what I wanted :-) -- an
>    organized overview of the schema, objects and basic
>    SearchBuilder, major subsystems (e.g. email, web, cli, scrips,
>    privileges), hacking techniques (e.g. Dirk Pape's wiki on
>    "CleanlyCustomizeRT"), even things like preferred coding style
>    and patch creation.  The API for a specific Class is
>    well enough described in the code/pod, but the overall
>    RT meta-schema is not. (At least, it's not organized in one place.
>    Many of these items are scattered about.)

We are working on it, in the form of a book to be published sometime
around the end of the year. The book is an much-expanded version of our
daylong RT developer training program which covers all the things you
just mentioned. But writing books is slow going and takes a
long time :/

	Jesse