[rt-users] Debian setup: postgres problem?

Stephen Quinney stephen.quinney at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 04:23:01 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 12:59:59PM +1000, Jens Porup wrote:

> and also:
>
> 	root at request-tracker:~# perl test.pl
> 	DBI connect('dbname=template1:host=localhost;','rtuser',...) failed: FATAL:
> 	IDENT authentication failed for user "rtuser" at test.pl line 13

ok, the problem is definitely something to do with your pg_hba.conf
file, I do not know what though as it looked ok to me before. The
IDENT failure shows that it is trying to use ident authentication when
a host is specified, it is working when you connect locally as that is
allowing password authentication.

The key to this problem is that the order of the lines in the
pg_hba.conf does matter, it will take the first one that matches and
use that, if it fails there is no drop through to other lines. It
should be picking up the lines at the top mentioning the database
template1 with user rtuser but for some reason it isn't. Maybe those
IPV6 lines lower down are confusing matters?

Stephen