[rt-users] Changing FROM field with Sendmail and RT message

Chris Ridd chris.ridd at isode.com
Wed Mar 10 14:08:00 EST 2004

On 10/3/04 5:40 pm, Vincent J. Bono <vbono at vinny.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running RT 3.0.8 under RH-9.
>
> Despite having set apache as a trusted user by sendmail  (as per
> http://fsck.com/rtfm/article.html?id=5#106) messages coming from the RT
> machine are still coming with a FROM: field address of
> apache at localhost.localdomain
>
> I am using the sendmailpipe option in RT_Config and everything else seems to
> be functioning correctly.
>
> What am I missing?

I'm also using sendmailpipe, and my submit.cf's configured to forward all
mail to our proper outbound MTA which is running on a different machine. I
captured a packet trace using ethereal, and the problem I'm seeing is that
the SMTP envelope 'from' is being set to <apache at william.isode.net> (ie the
user that's running httpd, and the hostname of the machine running httpd)
and I suspect our outbound MTA's tossing messages from clearly bogus users
into /dev/null :-)

The message content has a 'from' which matches the config in
RT_SiteConfig.pm, ie "Chris Ridd via RT <blalblah>".

Is there any way to tune the envelope 'from' in RT (3.0.9 btw), or is the
only solution to tweak the MTA to accept what RT's setting?

Cheers,

Chris